RE: filmscanners: Cleaning slides using Digital ICE

Hi James!

Yes, there is a problem with Kodachrome that we are working on. You should
really try some of your own images. We are not absolutely sure why some
Kodachromes are affected while others are not. It is usually the very dense
parts of the image. I'll tell you what I do when I scan Kodachrome. I scan
it with and without Digital ICE and compare the results. What usually
happens is that detail is lost in dark parts of the scan (in a recent image,
a man standing in the shadows was wearing a dark hat with lettering on it.
The lettering on the non-Digital ICE scan was a little clearer, so I
sharpened the Digital ICE image and I was satisfied with results. In an
other case there was a black bill board with red lettering, with the entire
image being probably two to four stops under exposed. The negative was very
badly damaged (actually a dog had gotten a hold of it!) and there were
defects all over it. I put the Digital ICE scan on a layer in an image
editor in front of the non-Digital ICE scan layer and painted through for
the lettering on the bill board. Almost all of the defects were gone and the
detail on the bill board was very clear. If I had tried to remove the
defects from the entire image I would have spent several hours (if not days)
getting the same result I got in a few minutes of work.

So to answer your question, yes there is a problem with some images, but
they are quite easy to work around in most cases. I think you'll be happy
with your choice.

Jack Phipps