Re: filmscanners: Minolta Dual II and Green channel noise

Tony Sleep wrote:

> Are you sure you are setting the black point correctly? Virtually all
> scanners degrade to green/blue mush at the dark end, but the more
> competent ones do so at luminance values which are below those found in
> the shadows. If so, you will be able to clip the black point to lose the
> noise, yet not retain all or most of the image shadow detail.

Thanks for the input.  My experimentation will have to wait as the unit
is winging its way across the country as we speak.

When left to its own devices, the Minolta software tended to show a
histogram (after the prescan)  which was heavily biased toward the dark
end of the scale, rarely going over the 50% point.  After readjustment
via black and white point adjustments, I usually got something
approaching a wider distribution on the histogram, looking like nearly
the whole scale was filled.

In both circumstances (when I did adjust and when I did not) the final
scan had considerable green shadow noise.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.