Re: filmscanners: Primefilm 1800i

Tony wrote:

>AFAIK it is produced by Pacific Image who are a brand owned by Microtek,
>and I believe used for entry-level flatbed scanners which are sold at
>lower prices than Mtek.

FWIW, I just bought a Mtek flatbed for $50US (about as "entry level" as you
can get), to fill in for my HP 6300C while I endlessly attempt to get it
reliably serviced. It's "competent." Not as good as the higher-priced
1200-squared HP, but at 1200x600ppi (effectively, 600ppi squared) it does an
adequate job for uncritical photos. It has a density range that even brings
up things that I didn't want in the first place! ;-)

If Pacific Image's 1800 matches the performance of Mtek's "lowball" flatbed,
I'd suggest it probably has some merit as an entry level filmscanner. But
don't expect to weasel through without some *major* retouching. If
Time=Money, it might be better to spend more money up front, because Time is
going to get you on the downside.

Best regards--LRA