RE: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED

OK, but to take the mfgrs' side (which I very rarely do), how do you "test"
a filmscanner prior to shipment? Hell, most people don't know how to work
them for weeks, and they're really trying!

If a your OEMs are doing their job, all you can do is trust them (or
threaten to replace them). The stuff they send you, that you assemble into
your product, either works or it doesn't work.  The standard procedure is to
test a reliable statistical sampling from the production line--if there are
failures, you back-stream to find and correct the problems. If there are no
problems, you pass them on--even though one or two might be total lemons.

The thing that your "Bean Counters" are forgetting (and they shouldn't,
because "Statistical Evaluation" should certainly have been part of their
Business College curriculum--as it was *not* in mine), is that there will be
"X" number of failures on any production line. To catch all of them is not
possible--never has been, probably won't ever be. To "own up to" the
failures and correct them quickly without any additional hassle, OTOH, is
something the "Bean Counters" are refusing to do. This is a problem that
grows more serious as I write.

All I can suggest to do is buy ony from a dealer who offers a "No Questions"
refund/return policy, and refuse to buy from any who doesn't. The "Test
Before You Buy" advice that's glibly given out by magazines who rely on
advertising is pure crap--no one can learn a complex device or software,
even fundamentally, in less that 3 days, and 30-90 days is realistic for
software. At least in the world *I* live in.

I don't know if the Bean-counters will *ever* get the message, though--it
doesn't seem to be something they can calculate.

Best regards--LRA