filmscanners: OT: SLR v.RF (was: Dimage 7 camera

Tony wrote:

>Ralph Gibson used to make students go into his empty white-walled
courtyard with a camera with standard lens, and not let them come back
until they'd shot a whole roll :)

Interesting. Now, was that with RF or SLR, or just "Go out there and *do*
it?" Damned good teaching method, both for camera performance and
subject-finding.

Like Hersch, I've always liked the SLR. Second place is the TLR, which is
bulkier, slower, and harder to use (not to mention more obvious, and
"candids" are my favorite pictures). Parallax was always the "crusher" for
me--better RF's have less of it than "Point and Shoot" cameras, but when
working close--and particularly when working close and fast--parallax can
still be a "booger."

This is what turns me away from non-SLR digital cameras. True, they have an
LCD view-screen (if you can see it on a sunny day), but it's still not as
fast as an SLR, AFAICS. Maybe that's because my shooting habits are SLR, I
really don't know--I wish I had one to "play with" for a week. I'm not quite
ready to spend $300-700US to find out. And the digital SLRs?--Oh, well, I
can dream. :-)

The upshot--if an SLR body costs $200+, and the lens another $200+, can we
expect an SLR digital camera for under $1000 anytime soon? <Sigh>

Best regards--LRA