Re: filmscanners: Grain aliasing myth (was Minolta DiMAGE Scan & etc)

wrote:

> > I also don't really believe in film-grain aliasing --
> > film grain is essentially non-periodic, or, more
> > accurately "white noise" -- ie, containing
> > an even distribution of frequency element
>
> It's not though - it's pink noise, biased toward a range of
frequencies
> (grain sizes) which depend on material, exposure and process. How
else do
> you account for grain aliasing (or whatever it is) often manifesting
in
> particular areas of an image of similar tone/density, but not
elsewhere?

> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep

You see grain size vary by tone/color in analogue prints too.  It
would be very interesting to compare CCD scans and inkjet prints to
analogue enlargements.  I'm wondering if the grain variance effect is
similar.

Dave

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.