From:   G3 [mailto:G3@his.com]
Sent:   Sunday, July 01, 2001 3:56 PM
To:     filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject:        filmscanners: Filmscanners- comparison of Nikon LS4000 with
Canon/Polariod 4000

Tony, All:
        First, thanks for hosting the Filmscanners list.  I've gotten
a lot out of it.
        Second, if it's reasonable, I might ask for some help
retrieving some recent messages comparing the new Nikon LS4000 with
the new Canon 4000 and the Polaroid SprintScan 4000.  Before taking a
recent trip, I was trying to pare down my Filmscanners mailbox in
Eudora and quickly read and trashed a series of these comparative
messages.
        Upon returning, I see that the Polaroid has dropped in price
to about $900 (US), which makes it well worth looking at; the
SprintScan also bundles the Silverfast Ai software.  Recently, the
new Canon has come in at about that price.  As I recall, the messages
on Filmscanners were not as complimentary about the Canon as the
Nikon but there are positive reviews at imaging-resource.com that
describes all 3 scanners.
        My use will be to scan for archive, and for high resolution
prints (Epson 1270 up to A3), of some valuable older Kodachrome (a
few Ectachrome) slides.  I'll also be scanning new slides and
negatives.  Most are in good shape (fairly clean, a few dust spots
but seldom scratches); I use an airbrush to clean off dust as well as
possible.  I tried a demo Nikon LS-30 for a week and got some good
Kodachrome scans with color saturation using VueScan as well as the
Nikon software, but decided to wait for a 4000 dpi scanner.
        My intended use probably is not too different from many on
the list, any comments on the comparison of the scanners will be of
interest.
                Regards,
                Bob
--