RE: filmscanners: Digicams again was Re: filmscanners: Minolta DiMAGE Scan & Dimage 7 camera

> Right now, I have three film cameras, a bunch of lenses and
> a Nikon LS30 film scanner.  I *don't* have thousands of
> dollars to spend on a digicam.  So I just want to get the
> best out of the gear I have, and that's why I'm here on
> this list. :)

It's a pivotal time, and it makes buying decisions more difficult than ever.
Right now I _don't_ have a bunch of lenses and cameras (well, not entirely
true: I have an M6, Hexar RF, and three Leica M lenses, which is investment
enough, I suppose), but I'm in the market both for an SLR kit (for macro,
telephoto and zoom lenses) and a digital darkroom setup (PC, scanner,
software, printers, etc.).

I figure on spending $10-20k when all is said and done (spaced out over a
period of 2-3 years).  I'm not opposed to spending $3k of that on a very
high quality film scanner, and several thousand for a top-notch SLR and pro
lenses.  But I have to wonder if I wouldn't be better off combining those
expenses and getting a Nikon D1x, or (better still) waiting another few
months to see what Canon and others have to offer.  With the near term
possibility of 6 Megapixel CCDs that are the same size as a 35 mm frame, I
have to wonder if a $3k film scanner is a smart investment right now.

Dan

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.