Re: filmscanners: Vuescan Settings

On Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:36:12 -0400 (EDT)  Raphael Bustin
(rafeb@channel1.com) wrote:

> Gamma adjustments, by definition, don't
> affect white point or black point --
> only the stuff in between.
>
> I'm sure even Vuescan has a a way to set
> both of these -- if not, I'd trash it.

It has - the 'image brightness' setting sets both gamma and
brightness/contrast according to some fiendish Hamrickian scheme. I still
preferred them as separate parameters, but that's the control to twiddle
with - in practice it works well - to achieve a scan which does not clip
either end of the histogram. You'll also want to set VS white point to
0.01 and black to 0.0.

Like I said, aim for a rather pallid preview scan which exhibits neither
full blacks nor whites. Use the levels shadow and highlight eyedroppers in
PS to adjust to taste.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner