Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: Does CMM work on Win2000?

"Maris V. Lidaka, Sr." <mlidaka@ameritech.net> wrote:
> Qualification first - I don't know for a fact that only colors strictly
> within the sRGB gamut can be displayed, but that is generally the case.

According to what I've read on the Epson list, sRGB was a gamut designed
around an average computer screen.  Most people with filmscanners probably
have better screens which are capable of a wider gamut.  Having said that,
if the monitor profile is the Windows defaut, not one specifically for the
monitor,
AFAIK it will be sRGB regardless of whether the monitor is capable of more.

> and then of necessity alter the non-viewable colours so that they are
> viewable, to the closest color displayable by the monitor.  You will get
an
> impression of what the result will be - you will not see the actual result
> until it is printed to paper, film, or whatever.

And only then if the whole system is accurately profiled.  Otherwise you'll
see *a* result but not what you might expect.

> Photoshop et.al., when showing color in another color space, will show you
> how the colors relate to, or compare to each other, in that color space,
> even though all of the colors in that color space are not viewable
onscreen.

Hm.  I'm not really sure how it does that, but I follow what you're
suggesting
above about compressing the gamut to fit.  Photoshop 5.5 has an "out of
gamut"
display but I'm unconvinced about its usefulness.

In the absence of expensive hardware and software to accurately profile my
whole setup, I'm beginning to think that sticking to sRGB is probably the
simplest way out.

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.