Re: filmscanners: Film base deterioration (was Digital Shortcomings)

Well, two comments,

1) film on polyester base probably is the best archival storage

2) Even film on cellulose acetate will keep itself together if properly
stored.  The biggest danger is caused by overheated conditions.  Film
should never be stored in 90 plus degrees F, as often occurs in
apartments in cities in temperate zones during the summer.  Keep it
cool, keep the humidity below 50% and constant, and your film will think
it was at the spa, in fact, it might come out looking and feeling
younger than when it went in ;-)

Art

Robert Kehl wrote:

> Yeah Tony,
>

>  that was news to me, too.
>

>  I was under the misassumption that film was the best archival medium
> around.  Perhaps CD's or other backed up digital storage is best, if for
> no other reason than you can copy it forward without any loss
> before your digital media's (CD, tape, etc) archival life expires.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.