Re: filmscanners: Digital Shortcomings

Yes, it is CT18 and CT20?, and they have all but disappeared.

And, one would "suspect" the processing was done properly, because the
rolls were sent to Agfa Germany.  However, the rolls were so severely
scratched during processing, that I have a difficult time believing they
actually were processed in Germany.  There were several batches sent
too, so it wasn't just one bad day.

Regarding the cellulose based films, apparently the Bettman collection
Bill Gates bought is completely disintegrating, so they have given up on
trying to scan most of them, since they claim it would take 25 years or
more to accomplish and by then they will all be dust, ao they have moved
the whole collection out of New York City and into some limestone caves
somewhere, where maybe they will just "rest in peace" ?  They also made
mention i the article of a strong smell of acetic acid.  AT first I
thought they moved them just to keep the disaster out of the public eye,
but maybe the coolness and alkaline nature of the limestone will slow
down the process.  Of course, they could have just invested in some more
employees and equipment and scanned the work a little faster...

Art

Tony Sleep wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:05:10 -0700  Arthur Entlich (artistic@ampsc.com)
> wrote:
>

>> other than Afga slides which used some
>> weird process (CF??) which has failed completely on me
>

> Coo. I have a very few slides I shot on Agfa CT18 when I was a kid,
> c.1964. Despite negligent storage, the colours are still saturated and
> neutral.
>
> I found a colour neg of my dad's on unmasked Agfacolor col.neg, from 1958,
> and had it printed recently. Excellent, especially skin tones. Grass was a
> little yellowish, but that's all.
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Sleep
> http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner