filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Polaroid 4000 vs. Nikon L4000

Barbara white wrote:
>Any input would be so appreciated, since I'm really a newbie on this
>subject, but I do want to scan in 16 bit.

There's no such thing as "true" 16bit "consumer" film scanning as I'm sure
others on the list will explain. :)  Even the least significant bits of
14 bit interfaces are probably dubious, so stretching it to another 2 bits
is unlikely to be worthwhile.  Hey, using Vuescan even my LS30 gives 16
bit output (actually 10 bits per channel padded to 16). :)

Put it this way; both scanners are very good and have pluses and minuses.
 The SS4000 is very low noise and gives good quality scans.  The Nikon is
also very good, but the most significant feature over the SS4000 is the
ability to remove dust and scratches automatically from scans of colour
negs and slides using the Infra-red channel.  This is a double-edged sword
as the light source used in the Nikon scanners also tends to make film grain
more obvious than in the Polaroid.  If you have lots of very clean film,
the SS4000 may be the better choice.  If you have a lot of dusty or damaged
film, the Nikon may save you a LOT of spotting time.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.