Re: filmscanners: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

Thanks for that thought, Brian. IMHO, some people (including me) are blaming
their scanners for something their zoom lenses are doing! ;-)

It's interesting to note that digital cameras are offering "Digital Zoom,"
when what they are really offering is electronic zooming-in of pixels. This
is the exact equivalent of making close-up crops of an existing picture--and
if you don't have high resolution in the first place, you won't have it in
the second place, either. All but some *very* expensive zoom lenses have
traded on that appearance for quite a few years. The pure fact of the matter
is that zoom lenses are not equal to telephoto lenses. Never have been,
never will be. It's another of those compromises we make, to "get the
picture." :-)

Best regards--LRA