RE: filmscanners: LED Illumination for Film Scanners

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:18:04 -0400  Austin Franklin
(darkroom@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

> But that's the point...you CAN'T space them to give even illumination.
> Just
> a single LED is unevenly illuminated in and of it self!  It's typically
> mounded plastic piece, which is really not very consistent.

Nikon are unlikely to be using mass-produced general-purpose .5c LED's on
a bit of breadboard <g>. I've not seen the strip array used, but ISTM
small precision-LED's with suitable front lenses will present a virtual
point source. Careful spacing is then all that is required. Or, for a bit
more ease of production, interpose a diffuser and/or move the LED's a bit
further away... whatever, it works fine.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner
info & comparisons