RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Tony Sleep wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 04:58:54 -0400  rafeb (rafeb@channel1.com) wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I've got it.  What do you suppose I've been
> > raving about for these last couple of weeks ?? :-)
>
> It hasn't gone unnoticed -  you seem to be the only person in the world
> who actually has one :) Just how long does this thing take to scan 35mm
> and larger at full res? And how much RAM do you need?

645 negatives take about five minutes, more or
less, with ICE turned off.  This is a rough
guess, I haven't actually timed it.  Certainly
no more time than it took my Epson 1640SU to do
the same job.

Scanning 35 mm is proportionally faster.

ICE seems to add about 50% to the scan times.

A minor annoyance is that the scanner has to move
to the image in question before the scan even
begins -- that part was not a consideration with
the SprintScan Plus, where there is no machine-
movable film holder.

This "pre-scan" movement also applies to each
preview scan you make, on the 8000 ED.

35 mm images are about 60 Mbytes (24 bit color.)
645 images are about 160-170 Mbytes (24 bit color.)

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.