From: owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:owner-filmscanners@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of rafeb
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 3:24 PM
To: filmscanners@halftone.co.uk
Subject: Re: filmscanners: Digital vs Conventional Chemical Darkroom

At 10:28 AM 6/19/01 -0500, John C. Jernigan wrote:
>Rafe,
>    My query was specific to the issue of print permanence. Indeed, there
are many
>valid reasons to "discuss film scanning at all." And in many applications,
digital
>probably wins hands down. As I implied in my first query, permanence is
paramount
>(all other things being equal) to me. And so far, I still don't know which
are more
>permanent ? digital prints or chemical prints.
>    Your statement that "There are hybrid solutions as well.  Eg, output
via
>Lightjet or Lambda (onto archival print media, using wet chemistry) to get
around
>the print longevity issue" almost implies that you believe chemical prints
are more
>archival than digital. Is that true? I do not wish to "get around the print
>longevity issue." I simply want to know which type of prints are more
archival.
>    Can anyone enlighten us on this subject.
>    Admittedly, this is somewhat OT for this list. Can anyone direct me
(and others
>who are interested in this issue) to another more pertinent list?
>    Thanks to all,

This is a topic that's discussed endlessly on the Leben
Epson printers list (to join, see www.leben.com)

I think most of us using Epson printers would be
delighted to get the 75-year longevity rating on
our prints which Fuji Crystal Archive paper has.

In an nutshell -- photographic prints are considered
the standard that we "giclee" users aspire to.

There are new breakthroughs all the time in giclee-
land.  For example, pigment inks from any number of
sources, which will probably outlast almost any dye
ink (on proper media, they have longevity predictions
of up to 200 years.)

Alas, the most sparkling and brilliant prints are made
with dye inks on glossy papers, and this is where
longevity for inkjet media is really not too good.
With the wrong ink/paper combination, you might lose
your image in 2-3 years, if not sooner.

A fellow named Henry Wilhelm used to be the last-
word on all this, but he hasn't been heard from much
in recent months.  (www.wilhelm-research.com)

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.