Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks sc anner)

At 10:27 AM 6/19/01 +1000, Rob wrote:

>I have a couple of old and AFAIK not particularly great K-mount
>lenses which I can use on my MZ5.  The clarity of photos taken
>with the f1.9 50mm lens in particular seem *vastly* better than
>photos taken with the Sigma 28-80 AF zoom.  Even when the
>autofocus is spot on, it doesn't seem to get close to the 50mm
>in sharpness.  On the other hand, the 50mm seems to have a bad
>case of red colour fringing which is very noticeable when scanned.

Hehe.  Maybe a bit O.T., but i never met a Sigma
lens that I liked.

>Anyway, my point is that scanning has shown me how important the
>quality of the lenses can be.  You can't expect stunning results
>out of the scan if the quality of the image isn't there in the
>first place.  I can't help wondering how much of the "problem"
>with scanner softness is actually softness of the image on the
>film.

On this we agree completely.  Garbage in, garbage out.

>Until I can get hold of a really good fixed focal length
>lens and take a few photos with a tripod, I don't think I'll
>know for sure.

I recently came to this same conclusion myself,
now that I've got a 4000 dpi scanner to mess with.
Think I'll put away the zoom(s) for a bit and try
some of those old AI Nikon prime lenses again, just
to see what's up.

I've got my doubts about a couple of the "newer"
Nikon AF zooms in my kit.  (Early 1990s vintage.)

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.