RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

At 06:00 PM 6/18/01 -0400, Austin wrote:

>Huh?  How do they get even illumination, muchless correct wavelength light,
>from LEDs as the light source?  That wouldn't be my first choice I don't
>believe, for a light source, or for filtering the light!

I don't know, and I'm not sure I care.  It works like
a champ, is all I know.  There's no hint of banding.

I do know that the *&^%$ flourescent tube in my
SprintScan has been a source of aggravation on several
occasions.  I also know that some scanners (but not
the Nikon) have an aggravating "wait" period before
scanning, while the machine waits for the lamp to
warm up and stabilize.

This technique is not original to Nikon; it's used in
sheet-fed paper scanners (eg. Visioneer PaperPort.)
Where I work they're refered to as CIS scanners
(Contact Image Sensor.)

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.