RE: filmscanners: Magnification of light - AND brief density math lesson...

At 05:55 AM 6/18/01 -0400, Dan Honemann wrote:

>> I only re-size in PS (no interpolation, I just let the DPI fall where ever
>> it falls), then (in custom) set the print driver to micro-weave, not high
>> speed, usually to the highest resolution etc.  Put paper in printer, hit
>> "print" button ;-)
>
>Thanks, Austin.  I wasn't aware of the Leafscan 45 till you mentioned it
>(digital imaging is a (perplexing) new world to me).  Nice that it works
>with multiple formats.
>
>Do you have a webpage or photos up anywhere?  I'd love to see the results.

Leafscans (the 35 and the 45) appear with regularity on
eBay. Prices have been falling since the announcement of
the latest medium-format scanners from Polaroid and Nikon.
Auctions used to close at around $2500 about half a year
ago; nowadys they're well under $2000.  Figure another
$100, at least, to ship the thing.

The Leaf is a very respectable machine, but bear in mind
that it is a large, heavy machine (the Leafscan 45, that
is) and based on early 1990s technology.  There will be
no software upgrades, ever -- unless or until Austin gets busy.
You will need a GPIB (IEEE-1488) card installed on your PC,
or SCSI on a Mac.

The "real" resolution is probably not much different.  The
Leafscan promises 2500 dpi on 120 film; the new Nikon and
Polaroids promise 4000.  I think my 8000 ED beats the Leaf-
scan in real resolution, but not by a huge amount.

If you're on a budget, you might consider the Leafscan 45 at,
say, $1500, versus the 8000 ED or the LS-120 at about twice
that amount.  But things could even out if/when you need to
get the Leafscan serviced.  And prices will continue to drop
on the new Nikon and Polaroid units.

And BTW, when Austin talks about 5080 dpi from 35 mm film,
he probably should have mentioned that it takes about an hour
or so to produce that scan, in RGB.  I hope you're not in
a hurry. <g>

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.