Re: filmscanners: leveling scanners

Robert wrote:

>>the red and cyan colour fringing around high contrast edges
>>didn't change at all.

Tony answered:
>This is fairly characteristic of all filmscanners, to a degree at least.
>Have a close look at some of the native resolution samples for different
>scanners at my site. I don't believe it is chromatic aberration of the
>lens system (which would reverse across the frame) but simply
>colour aliasing compounded by perhaps some CCD blooming.

I'm a bit out of my depth here, scanner-wise, but Robert's problem looks
much more to me like misregistration, given that the red "bloom" is on one
side of the black target, and the cyan or blue "bloom" is on the other. I'm
not at all sure what would cause this to happen, but a simple chromatic
aberation would not put the red to one side and the blue to the other--it
would or should put them somewhat equally to all sides or in proximity. This
would be seen in Harry's experiments with different scanners and the
pin-prick "stars" (filmscanners, about 3-4 weeks ago).

With all due respect, I think this is something else altogether.

Best regards--LRA