RE: filmscanners: Magnification of light

Austin wrote:

>Think of it like your hearing...now that you're older, you can't hear high
>frequencies, but when you were younger you could...yet the amplitude of the
>high frequencies hasn't changed...  That is because as you get older, the
>dynamic range of your ears decreases.

Oooh, you really know how to hurt a guy, don't you? ;-)

>Do you know what DMax means, mathematically that is?

I had to work *very hard* to keep from flunking math, but managed A's. Not
like I understood it or anything. ;-)

But yes, as I understand it (scanner-wise), DMax is the maximum amount of
density a CCD will recognize and record from a piece of film as "Black."
DMin is the maximum amount of light (non-density) a CCD will recognize as
"White."  The Density Range is what lies between. A bit of dust on a neg
will block and transmit little if any light to the receptors, and be white
when the scanner interprets it as a negative light generation and reverses
it's light transmisibility. A similar mote of dust will translate as "Black"
on a slide. Neither of these will be either "Black" nor "White," but will be
*percieved as being. An example once given was a black cat against the sun
as a background--what scanner could get that? Or what film, for that matter,
and preserve that precious little "locket" that all black cats (felis
domestica, at any rate) have?

I might well have answered the wrong post, but I thought we were discussing
the "flare" evidenced in dark-light scanned photos, the most extreme of
which are Harry's astronomy pics and his inspired "pin-prick" experiments,
which I've done myself with a diferent scanner and diferent results. If I've
unfortunately blundered into the wrong discussion, then I'll see if I can't
just segue off-stage-left without falling on my face. ;-)

Best regards--LRA