Re: filmscanners: Magnification of light

Marvin:  I hope this responds to what your questions.  I scanned an old
Kodachrome slide I took at the Grand Canyon  and it had a section that was in
deep shadow, but you could still see some of the detail in the shadow.  I
scanned it on my LS-30, moved it to PS 5 and the manipulation took away the
shadow and pulled up the details.

By the way, Vuescan's ICE cleaned up the Kodachrome's dust and a scratch
nicely.

Gordon

Marvin Demuth wrote:

> Larry Berman, a list member, along with his associate, Chris Mayer,
> published their interview with Jay Maisel, the noted New York photographer
> who is rapidly moving to digital, in the June 2001 issue of Shutterbug
> <http://bermangraphics.com/press/jaymaisel.htm>. In my zeal to make the
> switch to the digital era, I have read the article three times.  One
> section particularly caught my eye:
>
> <<Chris/Larry: I've read that it's an electronic shutter. (Referring to the
> Nikon D1)
>
> Jay: Yeah, OK. So I can hold down to a 15th now. I'm an old guy. I don't
> have the shakes but to hold down to a 15th hand held is pretty wild. So,
> with the fact that I'm now shooting 200 ASA, and all my life I've only shot
> 50 or a hundred, tops, and I never liked to push film, I'm now, effectively
> my shutter speed is always higher. Plus the fact that this sucker amplifies
> light. I'm sure you're aware of that.
>
> Chris/Larry: Well, I know that it certainly has the ability to work at
> different ISO's or ASA speeds.
>
> Jay: No no, I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you take a photograph
> at the recommended ISO, in a bad light situation, you will look at it and
> be amazed at how much detail it pulls out.
>
> Chris/Larry: Opens up the shadow details. The ability of the sensor to see
> into the shadows.
>
> Jay: It's astonishing.>>
>
> The phrase, "OPENS UP THE SHADOW DETAILS," strikes me as a real
> bonus.  Yesterday in making a C print from a negative, I virtually lost all
> my shadow details in printing  for the central theme of the scene.  Also,
> yesterday, I received via e-mail a JPEG file made with a Nikon 990 which
> contained more shadow detail than I could have printed with a C print from
> one of my negatives.
>
> Question:  Does the same principle of "opening up the shadow details" work
> with scanned negatives?  In asking this, I am aware of the manipulations
> that can be done with shadow details with PhotoShop, et al....which are
> certainly easier to do than with the conventional dodging techniques in
> photographic enlarging.
>
> Marvin Demuth

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.