RE: filmscanners: Scanner resolution (was: BWP seeks scanner)

At 12:27 PM 6/15/01 -0400, Austin Franklin wrote:

>If you are going to be making B&W scans from a tri-color CCD scanner, don't
>let the scanner do the B&W unless it does not use the red channel.  I'd
>strongly recommend doing the conversion your self from either the blue
>and/or green channel, and not use the red channel at all.

This is odd.  If it were me, I'd toss the blue channel,
which is more often than not the one with the most noise
and the least usable information.

The red channel, OTOH, is the one with the best contrast,
almost always.

According to Biedney/Monroy/Moody ("Photoshop Channel
Chops") the conversion to grayscale in Photoshop uses
the following proportions:  30% red, 59% green, 11% blue.

rafe b.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.