Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme

Hi All,

I was very interested to hear your method of operation Tony. I too have
developed a technique purely by trial and error over the years together with
some reading up. My method is almost identical to yours especially:
1.When scanning have the darkest area a dark grey and the lightest area a
light grey so as to ensure you are capturing all the info.
2. Do basic curve adjustment at scanning stage and tweak that in PS
3. Do Saturation adjustment as the penultimate step - before unsharp mask. I
don't always use it - I have found that some subjects that in the past I
would have bumped up the saturation on have actually benefitted more from a
bir more tweeking in curves - usually the red.
4. If the scan is particularly awkward do two adjustments and combine with
levels - sometimes do two separate scans and combine these.

I actually tend to use the black eye dropper more than the white. This is
probably more a result of having a lot of subjects against black and liking
my blacks to be really black! I will also often start by using the auto
function in curves and then reducing the effects that it has given me.

Like Tony there is no single process that I use - it will depend on how well
the image scans and how well it reacts to black point, auto etc.

I am using an LS2000 with Nikon Scan. Since I do nearly all my adjustment
with PS I have not felt the need to go to Vuescan. I am reluctant to embark
on a new 'learning curve' when things seem to be working ok for me. We are
looking at getting an LS8000 and may try Vuescan at that point.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Parks
Image Quest 3-D