RE: filmscanners: Scanning 101...A basic question...

Robert writes ...

> In performing the scan, of negatives, to produce the
> "raw scan" aren't scanners/software varying the
> color channel exposure to remove the negative mask?
> Even if this exposure variation is based on some
> sort of measurement of the film done by the scanner,
> it represents profiling in the general sense.

    The general sense of the profile is "gamma", "whitepoint", and
"gamut".  What do these characteristics have to do with measuring and
subtracting the specific shade of the mask?  Not that I know
specifically how its done, but professionals have been doing it for a
lot longer than there have been profiles.

shAf  :o)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.