RE: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme

At 08:55 PM 6/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
>> >Interesting that NikonScan
>> >(3.1, at least) doesn't have them at all, yet
>> >does a pretty good job at inverting negatives
>> >and coming up with useful, believable images
>> >with different types of negative film.
>>
>> I find that somewhat more than interesting. If Nikonscan has no
>> profiles, how does it know where the startpoint is? This isn't
>> meant to be disrespectful--I'm truly curious. It might answer
>> some perplexing questions I've had for some time, now.
>
>The Leafscan never had any film profiles, and it's been the staple of high
>end scanners for over 10 years.

The 8000 ED gives it a nice run for the money, Austin.
I dare say -- it's even better.  Though I don't expect
you'll agree, without some convincing.  The attached
snippet (quality 5 JPG) is 400 pixels on a side -- 0.1
inch of the original Mamiya 645E negative.  You've seen
this image before...  there may be a copy of it on your
hard drive, still.

rafe b.