Re: filmscanners: Sprintscan 120 and new negative proile scheme(LONG)

on 6/10/01 6:16 AM, EdHamrick@aol.com at EdHamrick@aol.com wrote:

>> I remember reading something in the Vuescan manual which
>> said something about 'making the image look as much like the original scene
>> as possible'. In other words, applying a inverse H&D curve, presumably,
> plus
>> a custom base removal mask in the case of color neg. This seems absurd (the
>> first part, I mean) since if successful it makes all emulsions look the
>> same.
>
> This is exactly the design goal of PhotoCD, and it's a design
> goal of VueScan.

wow

your design goal is to eliminate the specific characteristics of individual
emulsions???

which we as photographers CHOOSE because we like the rendering???

genuinely speechless in Toronto

--
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com