filmscanners: High Capacity Storage (was CD RW Deal)

----- Original Message -----
From: Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com>
To: <filmscanners@halftone.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: filmscanners: CD RW Deal

> Jim Snyder wrote:
>
> > on 6/5/01 7:01 AM, Larry Berman at larry@bermanart.com wrote:
> >

> >> I just read in PC World Magazine (July issue page 58) that there is
going
> >> to be a shortage of CDRW's and prices will triple this summer by July.
Buy
> >> em while you can.
> >>

> > ....or wait until September when the first DVD+RW drives come out.
> >
> > Jim Snyder
>
> I believe they are already on sale.
>
> Art

DVD-Ram has been around for some time now in a few different formats.  The
most recent format is the 9.4 G double sided 5 1/4"disk format.  The drives
have finally gotten reasonable (around US$500)

http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/searchresults.asp?SR=1&ER=10&TR=0&ST=AS&;
plattype=P&MarketID=240514&sortval=Price

but the media is still quite expensive (about US$3-5/G) :

http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/searchresults.asp?SR=1&ER=10&TR=0&ST=AS&;
plattype=P&MarketID=240471&sortval=Price

Still, if you're scanning at 4000dpi it may be the storage medium of choice
since a CD won't even hold one roll of film as TIFF files.  When the price
starts to drop on the media, DVD-ram will be awesome, although slow when
compared to hard drives.  Right now the best high capacity storage might be
cheap IDE hard drives with a Dataport device to make them removable.

http://www.hard-drive.com/cgi-bin/webstore.exe

But then you need to be more concerned with data integrity and may want to
include high capacity tape backup as an option.

Either way, high resolution scanners seem to dictate high capacity storage
needs.  I'd be interested to hear how others are storing and archiving
4000dpi scans.

Bob Kehl

Bob Kehl

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.