Re: filmscanners: which scanner for slides ? ( SCSI vs USB )

"Hot Swappable means only one thing: It can be plugged/un-plugged
while the computer (and the cable connection) is in operation and
active. Firewire (1394) and USB have that property. SCSI does not,
although you can optain special connectors that allow
hot-swappability at those connections, but you need to know what you
are doing.

On Apple Macs, you can turn on or off all SCSI (notice I didn't say
unplug or plug) devices anytime. Harddrives (external) will need to
be "mounted" if turned on after the computer is booted. Execute
mounting software utility. Ditto for unmounting. Scanners however
will become active on SCSI connections immediately without doing
anything, even if not on initially when the computer boots. Auto
recognition built in Apple OS without special drivers. Hot
Swappability is only built into USB and 1394 IEEE standard, not SCSI,
albiet the special purchase connectors that allow such connectors
without high risk of frying your SCSI PCI board or your motherboard.
Or, causing massive errors and crashing of your SCSI hardrives. Can't
speak for ATA, EID drives, but generally speaking most "parallel"
protocol communication technology can't be hot swapped. 1394 and USB
are serial technology.

>If you want to turn on your SCSI device after your computer is already
>booted, No problem. Just right click on  MY
>COMPUTER, left click on properties,select DEVICE Manager tab and left click
>on REFRESH and then OK. This is for a windows machine. I don't know what you
>need to do for an Apple machine.
>Regards, Ron

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.