Re: filmscanners: Fast, decent (if you are lucky), low res scans

I have to agree with Ed's comments.

Wouldn't it be nice if products came with a diagnostic chip and buffer,
that would record all basic information of conditions at a specific time
(well, maybe not "all", such as composition of air in the room, or how
many beers the operator had consumed ;-)), but "most" of the important
things.

OK, here's a million dollar idea, and I only want 10% royalties...

Come up with a cheap sensor chip that would record all basic parameters
at a time prescribed by the user, (recorded as a file on the hard drive)
which could either be uploaded to the service department or sent with
the device.

If I'm not mistaken some of HP's high end products now can report to
them via email of a group of problems that might need servicing.  Their
upper end ($20K) printers can be set up to order supplies (inks, toners,
etc) as they run low via the internet.

Art

EdHamrick@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/29/2001 4:28:59 PM EST, artistic@ampsc.com writes:
>

>> The problem is, unlike the actual
>>  manufacturer, they are rarely supplied with enough replacement units to
>>  be able to just make a decision to trade the broken model with a new
>>  sealed or out of box model.
>

> I think a bigger problem with warranty repairs is being unable to
> reproduce the problem.  Sometimes problems only occur under
> rare combinations of operating system, scsi (or usb) controller,
> room temperature, or phase of the moon <smile>.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.