Re: filmscanners: What causes this and is there any easy solution ?

Oops! Sorry about the confusing nomenclature.  What I meant to express was
that at sufficiently small angles, the 'side opposite' leg is effectively
the far leg of a 90deg triangle (its an assumption but its pretty darn
close).  That means that you can apply the basic geometric rule of
                        Side Opposite
Tan(theta) = --------------------
                        Side Adjacent.

So for the average human eye (something like 90% of the population - with
folks like Chuck Yeager being the radical exceptions, which largely explains
his survival and success in Korea), the limit of resolution occurs when
Theta is 1/60 of a degree of arc - which as you correctly pointed out is 1
minute of arc.

At 500dpi, the inter-line spacing is 0.002inches.  So this means that we can
solve for Side Adjacent
                             Side Opposite     0.002inches
Side Adjacent = ------------------ =  --------------- = 6.875 Inches.
                             Tan(1/60deg)      0.000291

This is  a very well researched formulae - the Society for Information
Display has lots more info on the mathematical models of how the eye works -
fairly precise models too.

So if we go from this equation, we know that if we look at the original film
at a big enough enlargement (say 8x10), then we will be able to see any
artifacts in the film of the kind being described, if we look more closely
than 6.5".  Since folks have been doing this in the darkroom for decades -
using grain focussers and the like, and these artifacts have not been
observered, it is reasonable to conclude that they don't exist except in the
opto-electronics of the scanner process