Re: filmscanners: What is 4,000 scanner quality like in practice.

Dear Lalle

Converting to dollar sums for universal simplicity. UK prices for "system
time" vary between $75 - $125. Apparently New York is slightly cheaper than
even the UK provinces.

If I get a 120 scanner I will also need a Computer to plug it into, a table
to put it on and by many accounts a dust free room. This all costs a lot more
than the price of a scanner. When you count the rent, rates, electricity,
insurance etc. the setup has an overhead. As a photographer I don't think it
is logical to design a system where even my theoretical earnings are less
than a technician at a lab. As a photographer I have the added disadvantage
that I would not use the scanning setup everyday. Therefore the investment
would be much less efficient than a bureau charging $75 - $125 using their
Macs and stuff all the time.

Whenever I've mentioned 50Mb drum scans at $10 on the Stockphoto list I've
had lots of people ask "where?". If you know cheaper please tell. I did
mention that they are done on a CGI scanner which is considerably more than
$2,500. More like a $150,000 investment by the bureau.

(For those who don't know the CGI has a unique evaporating oil and the film
goes on the inside of the drum. Throughput is much faster than conventional
drum scanners because there is no taping or oil cleaning.)

What seems to be the killer is the dust problem. The bureaux scans are clean
which is wonderful. Looking at a full screen image on a monitor is like
looking out of an open window at the scene.

Yours

Bob Croxford
Cornwall
England