Re: filmscanners: drum scanning services

In a message dated 23/5/01 1:37:56 am, TonySleep@halftone.co.uk writes:

<<
I think you are right, and they are saying some very strange things.
Whenever I come across drum operators (in the context of magazine repro),
they go to great lengths (4 or 5 words) to explain that my puny 4,000ppi
scans are no good even for a postage stamp headshot, and that they scan
*everything* at 12,000ppi. Where have you tried? Metro should know what
they are talking about. >>

Dear Tony

What they might mean is that the sharpness of a $100,000 scanner capable of
doing 12,000 ppi will give a better result than a 4000 ppi desktop scanner
even when only 4000lines are needed. A scan at 12,000 would only be employed
by a repro house for a 40 x 60 inch high quality repro from a 35mm trannie
but only in the most extreme quality circumstances. For magazine repro
they'll use much less.

Bob Croxford
Cornwall
England