filmscanners: Minolta in W2K

I sold my Canoscan 2710 recently in order to get a
Minolta Dimage Scan Elite. I really wanted the Digital
ICE. I tried loading the software and it wouldn't
recognize  the device. This was odd, since Vuescan saw
it just fine (and doesn't depend upon TWAIN support).
I emailed Minolta support, who told me to uninstall
Vuescan and try again. Uh huh. Anyway, I mentally put
it on the back burner until today, and saw that there
was a dialog box being hidden during the SW install
that asked for my W2K CD. I provided the disc,
rebooted, and the same problem continues.

On a lark, I tried acquiring an image with Photoshop 5
LE, and lo and behold, it launches the Minolta SW just
fine, and seems fully functional, so at least I know I
*can* use the Minolta SW, albeit in a roundabout way.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how to try to
resolve this so that I can launch the Minolta SW
directly?

Pat