Re: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

Such arrangements can be essential but also delicate.Years ago I photographed a
housing project in Newark for a local newspaper. At the time racial/social
tensions in the city were high, to say the least, and I wouldn't have gotten
access to people and their apartments without such help, which came from a young
guy who clearly could use some money, however little I could offer. We hadn't
made
any financial arrangements and I still cringe when I think of his reaction of
hurt
when I did give him some money at the end; only after I made the gesture did I
realize that I was betraying his sense of collaboration. Where there are
perceived
social inequalities relationships are always tricky, even when everyone has the
best of intentions.

John M.

> Funnily enough having not pointedly NOT photographed street people for many
> years now, I am about to embark on a project where I want to. I thought what
> I might do is copy what Rob Appleby did in India, and go down to the local
> shelter and find someone generally regarded as sane & reliable and pay them
> to be a sort of guide/assistant. So maybe a fixed fee for a photograph of
> others would be appropriate in these circumstances.
> --
> John Brownlow

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.