Re: filmscanners: OT: photographing on the street

> Does anyone know a case where there has been a successful suit against
> published or exhibited streetphotograher on privacy grounds?

There was a mention of a Cartier-Bresson case before. But on reading the
Stirling article in turns out that it wasn't the photograph that was at
issue but its use as an illustration to an article. According to the
court in that context the picture could be interpreted as implying that
couple portrayed were only interested in each other for sex, although
the picture in itself had no such implication.

There is a larger issue that I hope the courts would take into
consideration: that documentation of social life is a public good that
outweighs the discomfort that might be felt by some subjects (and by
many photographers for that matter). The issue especially comes to a
head with paparazzi, but I'd probably especially defend them, as long as
they act within reason. It would be better if we didn't live in a
culture where celebrity was as important as it is, but as long as we do
it is essential that celebrities not have total control of their image,
as many would like to be.

John M.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.