RE: filmscanners: Sprintscan 35 plus and negs

Robert Smith wrote:

> I an a newbie on this list  and I need to know peoples opinions on which
is the best software for me to use to scan negs with my sprintscan 35 plus
> Thanks

I'm not sure what all is bundled with the SprintScan you got, but you'll
have some good programs to start with. Most people here will say that
Vuescan, a 3rd party non-Twain scan-driver program is the best buy around
($40 US), and I'd concur; at that price, it's silly not to have it. :-)

Another useful program is Irfanview, which is freeware, downloadable on the
Net. It's a "slide show" program which also has other imagining, saving, and
presentation features, it's a very fast way to review your pictures, and
it's freely distributable if you're making CD discs for other people
(licensing is negotiable if you're doing discs for commercial distribution).
I should add that your Vuescan purchase will also cover a downloadable
program called "VuePrint," which is likewise an excellent slide-show program
(among other things), but is *not* freely distributable.

Top-of-the-Line software for imaging and retouching is Adobe's Photoshop, at
$600.00US. While it lasts, DirectDeals.com has a special on
slightly-outdated CorelDRAW/Photo-Paint9.0, which does much of the same but
*slightly* slower (for $40 US--bare-bones with no manual or tutorial disc).
Another good imaging program is Micrografx PicturePublisher8--less
sophisticated than PS6 or P-P9, but much easier to learn and use.

Welcome to the group. :-)
--LRA