filmscanners: Noise in scans - Silverfast v Vuescan

I previously mentioned that I had been suffering some problems with noise
with the artixscan 4000.

I have been trying to scan (with both Silverfast and Scan Wizard Pro) a
slide that is high contrast that looks great when projected.

I have been unable to get a usable scan particularly in the area of a very
dark area of a loch. I have just tried Vuescan and the result was
immediately much better.

See:

http://www.greenbank.themutual.net/artixscan4000_noise.htm

Vuescan also look sharper and the rest of the image looks pretty good too.
Previously I have been led to believe that Silverfast was much better on
slides but unless someone can tell me what I am doing wrong in Silverfast
I'll have to get the plastic out and visit Ed's website.

Steve

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.