------Original Message------
From: Arthur Entlich <artistic@ampsc.com>

If that's $500 US, I suggest you consider the Canon FS-2710 or Minolta
Dimage Dual II, both under $500 new.

Used or refurb, you might find a Nikon LS-30, which has only one
advantage I can think of, which is digital ICE, a method for suppressing
dirt and scratches on the surface of color or chromographic (color film
based) B&W films (doesn't work on regular B&W negs or very well on
Kodachrome.)

The Canon and Nikon use a SCSI interface, the Minolta a USB.

Image quality is quite similar overall.  The Canon and Nikon use a 2700
dpi CDC, the Minolta 2820 dpi.

Art