filmscanners: film sharpness

(snip) I too have noticed funny things with the focusing with my SS4000
(running Vuescan, don't know about PCI - haven't used it in a while).
I've scanned a slide, found too much dust, re-scanned it and found that
the focusing had changed slightly - the dust was in sharp focus, but the
image was slightly less sharp.  Don't know if this is a software issure
or something to do with the slide holder.  I've noticed that when you
insert a slide into the holder, it is usually not flat - that is the
holder doesn't do a good job of keeping the slide all in one plane (snip)

what you all could be describing is the classic situation of a negative
'popping' due to the heat of the lights. well known to all darkroom enlarger
users
 More interestingly...
 is this one reson why Nikon are using LED lightsources (much cooler)
pg

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.