filmscanners: Scanner consideration

I have returned my Epson Perfection 1200U Photo scanner and will
be buying a new scanner.  I know that a film scanner is the way to
go for scanning negatives and transparencies but I also need a
flatbed scanner.  Since most of my transparencies and negatives I
scan are medium format and larger (up to 4 X 5), I can not justify
a film scanner at this time.  I am considering the Epson 1640 for
the flatbed and hope that it will give better results than the
1200.  They're specs tout a 3.3 D-Max and 42 bit, a little better
than the 3.0 D-Max and 36 bit that was stated for the 1200.  I'm
wondering if anyone on this mail list has experience with the 1640
and would recommend it.  I'd really like to see the new Polaroid
120 but I'm afraid it may be above my budget limits for now.  If
the 1640 will provide anything near the results I'm looking for
that's the route I'd like to pursue.  The 1200 was bad to
posterize in the greens and flesh tones with the slightest under
exposed transparency or over exposed negative.  Any advice or
recommendations would be appreciated.

Jim Sims

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.