Re: filmscanners: ColorSteps?

These are the symptoms that I had experienced with scans from my Epson
Perfection
1200U Photo - midtone gradients in steps with a blue-gray to blue-black cast
and very
pale greens (that should have been rich green).  There was also a substantial
loss of
detail in these areas of pale green.  I had defined these symptoms as
posterization.
I thought the images were unacceptable and never tried printing them.  I did,
however,
look at them in Photoshop 5.5 and Paint Shop Pro 6.0 and the images were the
same when
viewed in both applications.  I am using an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 128 display
adapter
and was previously using a Rage Fury 128 - both using ATI Rage 128
architecture.  I
did note that these problems occurred on scans from slightly over exposed
negatives
and slightly under exposed transparencies.

I sent the scanned images to Epson, with the problem areas annotated, and they
concurred with what I described but said none of their scanners would do any
better.
I returned the scanner and they are refunding my money.

I have a friend with an Epson Perfection 1640 who is very pleased with it.  He
is
using a Mac (don't want to get another fire started here), but there were two
things I
didn't do that you have pointed out.  one is I did not make a test print (I
thought
what I saw on the screen would show up in the print).  And 2, I did not try the
scan
using another display card.  I should mention, however, that I have another
friend,
with an Epson 1200 Photo who is using a Matrox G-400 display adapter.  I have
seen
similar symptoms on his scans although he insists that they are not as
prevalent as on
my scans.  That is subjective because the scans were not of the same images.

After reading some of these posts I think I will ask my friend with the Epson
Perfection 1640 to scan some of my problem images and compare the results.

Good points to consider and this is only one example that makes this group
worthwhile,

Jim

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.