filmscanners: Brief review of LS-4000

Just thought I'd pipe in with my own two pfennings,yen,cents,
whatever about the LS-4000 now that I have one in my paws.

One of my biggest concerns in purchasing this scanner was that the
scanner would be a 'domestic' version for Japan only, i.e. it's power
supply would only be for 100 V 50/60 Hz. Well, As Ed Hamrick
mentioned a while back wrt the USB LS-40 and as I've confirmed, the
scanner comes with a multi-voltage power supply. Good for 100-240 V
50/60 Hz. First problem solved. =)

The second problem is one that I'm working through by carefully
reading the documentation (multiple language documentation on a
separate CD and a single-language install (Japanese) on the other CD)
and fiddling with the buttons and options. Looks like this scanner
has a lot of potential here. Yikes, a veritable plethora of options
compared to the LS-30 or the LS-2000.

Strip film adapter
------------------

The film handling of the strip film feeder looks like it has been
significantly improved over the take up spool method of the
LS-30/LS-2000. Instead of the film being drawn into a roll within the
film feeder adapter, it is pulled into the scanner and from what I
can determine, stays flat within the scanner. Because the LS-4000 has
a roll-film adapter (which I'll be purchasing once my wallet recovers
from the LS-4000), it has a straight-through path from front to back.
The film is inserted into the film feeder at an oblique angle of
about 30 degrees off vertical instead of the 90 degree (horizontal)
approach of the LS-30/LS-2000. It pulls the strip completely within
the scanner and there it stays until you're finished with that strip.
I haven't tried it with a 6 frame negative strip yet, but with the 4
frame negative strip, while scanning any of the frames, the film
strip stays within the innards of the scanner. When the film strip is
ejected after being in the scanner for a while, it shows no sign of
curling as in the LS-30/LS-2000. This is great news. =)

When using the strip film feeder, as with the LS-30/LS-2000 there are
two options for thumbnails...either numbered without a thumbnail
preview or numbered with a thumbnail preview with frame numbers.
Unlike the LS-30/LS-2000 series though, with the LS-4000 it does not
show the correct number of thumbnails in the non-preview mode and
always shows 6 frames. This is corrected once you choose the
thumbnail & preview option. Ditto for the roll film adapter...all
rolls will show as 40 frames until you do a preview. This is
documented in the PDF documentation.

The machine is very quiet and the advancing of the film is much much
more quiet than the the LS-30/LS-2000.

Another quirk is that despite the scanner being a firewire scanner
(IEEE 1394/iLink), it has only one port, which means it has to be at
the end of a firewire chain. Nikon recommends against using Firewire
hubs with the scanner. They do include with the machine a PCI
Firewire card so the presence or absence of a firewire port in your
PC/Mac shouldn't be an obstacle to using the scanner. That being
said, unless I want to install the PCI card into my machine this
means my firewire options are limited by the lack of firewire
pass-through/daisy-chain options.

Scanning
--------

Doing thumbnail scans and previews is remarkably swift. If you want
to do quick adjustments etc, it's easy enough to do. As mentioned
above, there's a load of options not available in the previous
incarnation of the software. Incidentally, the software can be used
for the LS-30/LS-2000.

Now for NikonScan tidbits. It helps considerably if you have gobs and
gobs of RAM. Even with the fastest of machines, with the size of
images it can produce (14 bit 4000 dpi of a ~35mm negative frame
gives ~120Mb file sizes), it will take all the memory it can get its
hands on. Because I have a Mac, I can set the memory allocation for
the NikonScan software, whereas with Windows, you will rely on the OS
to keep up with the ballooning demands of the scanning software.

To push the software and the scanner a bit, I scanned a negative at
4000 dpi, 16x multi-sampling, 14 bit colour, with Digital ICE enabled
in its 'normal' mode and then used GEM (Grain Reduction) set for the
default of 3 (on a 0-5 scale). The first time I did that, it took
over 40 minutes from start to finish. This was because I had not
increased the memory allocation from its paltry default (think about
70Mb?) and it was spooling the 121+ MB file to and from the scratch
drive (a nice fast 7200 rpm IBM drive). Bumping up the RAM allocation
to 580Mb and redoing the scan, the improvement in scan time was
considerable. I think it was reduced by at least 2/3 to about 15
minutes or so. This is not something I would do on a regular basis
since 4000 dpi is well in excess of my normal needs, but at least it
gives some idea of how long it could take.

Grain Reduction and Restoration of Colour are CPU-bound processes.
They do not rely on the scanner for anything and take up the bulk of
the time for generation of a picture. NikonScan has a long way to go
before it approaches Photoshop's ability to handle 100+Mb picture
files when displaying large image files like this. I am surprised by
how long it took on my machine since it was a Dual Processor G4 with
a fair amount of RAM (640Mb), so I'm assuming that NikonScan hasn't
been optimized for the G4 nor is it MultiProcessor aware (The G4 has
a special vector math unit ideal for manipulation of matrices of data
such as what is found in graphics -- which is why Apple always shows
off how fast its machines are using a G4 and Photoshop which is
optimized for the G4). I would presume the corollary that NikonScan
isn't optimized for the PC versions of 'AltiVec' (3DNow by AMD I
believe?).

Results
-------

The results of the scan are quite amazing, but I'm not sure about
what I should compare this against, so I will post some review shots
of the scanner later. Right now the biggest barrier for me for
further exploration of the scanner is that the software is all in
Japanese, so this is slowing me down somewhat.

more later...if anybody wants to see what the scanner can do with a
calibrated slide (Q60?) I'd be glad to help out, 'cept I don't have a
Q60 here. Snail mail is fine though and I'd return it back to the
sender as soon as I received it.

Dieder
--
Dieder Bylsma                 |