Re: filmscanners: Film flatness & Coolscan 4000

At 02:36 PM 8/04/01 -0700, Paul wrote:
> >>Please take a real sharp slide  ( glassles)..
>..
> >>Don't tell me that you not can se a big difference in the sharpness
> >>I have done this test on 2 different ED 4000 and same results...
>..
> >Can I just add to this - *please* make sure that the test slide is a
> >'curved' one.  Old Kodachromes in cardboard mounts are often like this -
> >you may have to look harder to find a plastic-mounted one with a good
> >bend..  Sorry if I am stating the obvious. :)
>
>Oh and while you're at it, take the film pressure plate out of the back of
>your expensive pro-35mm camera before you take the picture.
>and then blame the camera manufacturer if your images are soft.
>
>jeez, you guys...
>what planet are you living on?
>
>pg

Earth.

For those following this thread, I apologise for repeating myself, but
..  My collection of transparencies includes a LOT of K25s and K64s that I
wish to scan.  Almost without exception, they bow away from the emulsion
side, on average by about .2mm, some up to .5mm.  (No micrometer, just a
wild guess.)  My scanner just copes with them, and gives me good edge to
edge sharpness.  I gather the Nikon may not.  I might be interested in
upgrading to this scanner, but I am not prepared to demount all those
slides, so to me this is a big issue.  It also seems to affect Mikael, so
that's 2 of us so far..

And YES, of course lack of film flatness is not 'directly' the fault of the
scanner, but I would have thought that if you were designing a scanner, the
depth of field would be an issue.  Perhaps not many other people have bowed
slides, and perhaps those that do are happy to remove them from their
mounts.  Fine.  But *I'm* not.  We live in a wide world and everyone is
entitled to a different approach to their work, aren't they?  If not, I am
deeply sorry for wasting your time! :)

And as for your simile/irony, in the same way that a pressure plate helps
to keep film flat (anyone interested in this issue, see
http://www.smu.edu/~rmonagha/mf/flat.html ), depth of field helps to keep
the image sharp, if the film plane is curved.  If a scanner has so little
depth of field that I have to add to my workload, well..  It's not so much
that I am blaming the scanner manufacturer - I am just exercising my right
to exclude that scanner from my next purchase decision. :)

Regards, Mark T.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.