Re: filmscanners: negative and skin tones

rew@impulse.net (Robert E. Wright) wrote:

> [...]

This is a statistical phenomenon I think, caused by the nature of
overlapping colour spaces.

When you convert a picture from one colour space to another, you end up
with a picture that is more likely to be made up of colours common to both
spaces.

This is because colours not expressible in the RGB space aren't in the
original picture.

Any colours not expressible in CMYK are converted to the nearest
equivalent during the conversion.

However there is much more overlap between the colour spaces than
inexpressible colours, so statistically the new colour selected is more
likely to be still expressible in the original colour space.

So when you convert the picture back, there is an excellent chance that
all the colours are now expressible in both colour spaces and you will be
able to convert backwards and forwards as many times as you like without
further changes.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.