Re: filmscanners: Vuescan 7.0.8 hang!

        Flushing each line always puts a very heavy hit on performance,
        and unless the log file is specifically for detecting crash problems,
        is unlikely to work that way.

The performance hit depends on the ratio of logging to
other operations. When the logging is about scanner motion,
disk latency will probably not be noticable. As long as
the logging doesn't intrude into big calculations, it
should be ok. However, I agree it is unlikely to be
enabled by default - probably would need a separate
copy of the program from Ed.

Although there can be many levels of buffering, it is
within the capabilities of operating system writers to
allow the programmer to override them all; I don't know
if Windows has this feature but would be a little
surprised if it didn't.

Bill Ross

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.