Re: filmscanners: film flatness in Nikon's

PAUL GRAHAM wrote:

> maybe other scanners use a brighter lightsource and so gain depth of focus
> etc, but this one doesn't. I expect there is some trade made by Nikon
> against using tubes for LED spectrum, long life, heat, consistency or ?...

I think you are correct, that this was a decision based upon other
factors which LED lighting provide, and therefore the decision for the
purchaser is to look at the overall result and determine if the
advantages of LED lighting outweigh the possible loss of sharpness in
the glass less scan.

> Film flatness is a problem with all scanners/enlargers. Flatbeds don't
> suffer so much from it because  the film is pressed against the glass - in
> other words - it's glass mounted!

Well, here I'll take slight issue.  Since most flatbeds do not have
anti-newton ring glass, they use a glass less holder to keep the film of
the surfaces on both sides.  Many use a plastic covered light source, as
well.  Flatbeds often have quite excellent depth of field.  My UMAX
1200s has at least a .25 inch focal field.

Art

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.