Re: filmscanners: Grain in Color negative Film

At 14:48 24/03/2001 +0000, you wrote:

>Still, there is scope for variability in things like replenishment rates
>altering halide content, water quality (I assume the Kodalk content is
>left as
>a variable to deal with this), and (from my tests and experience with B&W)
>agitation techniques and frequency.

replenisher keeps alkalinity and CD at desired level, halides come from the
material.
there is no Kodalk in C41, just carbonate (plus some hydroxide in replenisher).
Color processes require more standardization, unlike BW where you can vary
many parameters.
One machine with one process has to correctly process films from different
manufacturers, different speed (various halides content), on commercial
basis labs have to provide acceptable results for all sort of films using
just one processing set (regardless of its origin). therefore they have to
be compatible (interchangeable).

>  The latter has a profound effect on
>grain.

in BW yes, in color there is only one correct set of
time/temp/replenishment/agitation - you set it using test strips, then
stick to it. If you want the best results, you standardize, then maintain
the quality. Reducing the number of variables is the easiest way of keeping
a process within the limits.

>A belt transport minilab, deep tank with burst or dip/dunk, and DIY
>one-shot processing seem unlikely to give the same results from nominally
>identical chemistry AFAICS.

If you tweak the process, yes, you should get the same results. Each system
requires different rate of replenishment and more/or less an anti-oxidant.
In general, follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

rk

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia".

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.