Re: filmscanners: Neg film for scanning

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001 06:04:42 -0000  Alan  Tyson
(AlanTyson@bknowl.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:

> My local Jessops' photographic chain store doesn't stock
> This is several times the price of the
> cheapo supermarket 400ASA neg film I generally use. Despite
> the 'grain' problems I'm usually happy with the results, but
> I hate the scratches & muck. Many of the scratches look to
> me as though they're due to post-handling of the negs
> (enprinting & bagging).

I used to use Kodak PJ640 with an LS1000, and it was curiously immune to grain
aliasing. It's now extinct though.

I would try Fuji Superia 400 if you haven't already. In general Fuji seem to
have a slightly less sharp grain/dye structure than Kodak, which may help with
grain aliasing problems. It's an extremely good general-purpose film.

Unless you have tramline scratches which indicate grit or roughness in the
camera film path or cassette light-trap, scratches and dirt are *always* a
strong indication to sack your lab.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info &